Monday, December 05, 2011

Rocky Road

Yum yum yum yum etc.
For those of you who don't know, I don't consider myself to be much of a cook. I don't understand the science, and therefore, I don't like it. I don't know who corriander makes curry taste better, or why cinnamon and nutmeg remind me of Xmas, or why guacamole and fishsticks are a bad idea.

I also can't taste things very well. My wife tells me a good cook should be able to taste all the ingredients in a meal, and if not, that the ingredient was pointless. I know what she's trying to say, but to me that sounds like it's a better idea to live off of peanut butter sandwiches than really try anything exotic.

That being said, I can cook an okay seafood curry (so long as I have curry paste to start with!), and I can make simple cakes and whatnot. A vague interest in the hobby is there, but it's more often than not crushed under my other hobby: being on the PC 27 hours a day.

Now available with icing sugar!
So, finally, I've found a YouTube channel that may help to kindle the former hobby by using the latter: MyVirginKitchen. It's run by a fellow Brit named Barry, who cooks very interesting dishes and shows off how easy they are to cook. I'm skeptical about the ease of some of them (but you must remember: I'm very lazy), however I found one that I was willing to try: Rocky Road.

I've always loved Rocky Road. I know it's one of the worst things you can possibly eat, but isn't that true for most things that are genuinely nice to eat? As mentioned above, my tastebuds are kind of dysfunctional, so anything that tastes this good to me must be a winner.
Thanks to the wifey for these artsy shots.

Being someone who has, against his will or not, popped back and forth to the USA more times than he'd like to remember, I've sampled more than my share of bad-for-you food. And I have to say, as a dessert, Rocky Road is probably the best. The fact that I can make it so easily is both a blessing and a horrible artery-clogging curse, I think.

As you can see from the pictures, it turned out well. I was impressed with myself and moreso with Barry for making such a simple to follow recipe. You just need to remember to pace yourself while eating it - it's very decadent.

So, good show, MyVirginKitchen. I'll be staying subscribed and maybe trying out more dishes in the future. Once I've worked off this one. Which won't be 'til after Xmas at this rate. I didn't time this very well, did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment